Who Knew You Could Make This Dish Taco-Style!
Yes, you can tell from the picture. It’s Taco MEATLOAF day. Surprise!
Comfort food with a Mexican flair. Bring out the salsa, guacamole, and chips for this one.
Are you a mixer meatloaf person or a hand (and we do mean hand) mixer person? Meatloaf is one of those dishes where things get tactile. Like making bread.
Kneading the ingredients together and shaping the loaf by hand reminds that not all slow cooking is dump and go. It might be old fashioned, but we are grateful for these moments to remember that no matter how a meatloaf is cooked, it still requires a cook’s touch.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup salsa
- 1 Tablespoon taco seasoning (or 1 package gluten-free taco seasoning)
- ¾ cup gluten-free bread crumbs or instant potatoes
- Mix together the beef, eggs, salsa, taco seasoning, and bread crumbs or potato flakes. I like to use my stand mixer for quick easy mixing.
- Gather together with your hands and place in a greased slow cooker. Shape into a thick oval with space between the meat and the sides of the crock.
- Cook on low 4 – 6 hours or until the meat is done. Cooking time varies by slow cooker. 3-4 hours on low is plenty for some.
- Serve with the optional toppings if desired.
To brown the top of the meatloaf after cooking, place it in a dish or pan and broil for a couple of minutes.